Saturday 26 November 2011

A MISSED OPPORTUNITY

"Time and tide wait for none."I got a phone call by the principal of my college on the late fine morning of February in 2007 whilst I was teaching in a class. The foremost, I was not much excited but was keen on finding how he had found my school’s phone no. inasmuch as I had not shared my office's phone to anyone. I was really possessed with his call because we had holidays for the preparation of bachelor's first year exams.
The call has really aroused my curiosity. I met Principal who detailed why I was called suddenly. I was recommended by him for the 100 % scholarship to study IT (Information Technology) in South Korea, the course duration of which was five-year. I was handed over with some sheets of paper containing application form and some information. I couldn't remember of other words to express my gratitude to him except "Thank you!" I was really grateful to him; I was indebted to his contribution. I gave him higher position than my father because my father used to discourage me for higher studies. I was surprised why I was selected for the scholarship albeit I was graduation first year student. Thenceforth, I dreamed of earning international degree, and of living in South Korea to make money. I had almost compiled all the documents except for the medical prescription that required for submitting to the Embassy of South Korea.
Right ahead of deadline, I got a phone call; I didn't know that would turn the mode of direction. It was from the biggest and mostly recognized hospital situated in eastern region. I had to sign a medical contract paper and take care of my mom on the same day as there was no one. I phoned my honourable Principal and besought him to deliver my medical prescription. I had never expected refusal from him. But he did. I cogitated how a person could disappoint me who himself made me dream of golden future. His refusal was incredible. I kept vigil. I was wondering how I could make right decision. On the night of that day, I felt as if I were bridging the gap between death and birth. It was the toughest question I had ever coped with. I started weighing my mother and my career on the scales. Eventually, I reached a decision to go and email the medical prescription to a friend of mine. On the way, all of a sudden some madhesi people called strike. How they could assess the loss of someone-- their mind was filled with the wrong concept of strike or band as a way of demanding. I was disheartened. I was unable to resist their movement. The bus I was going by was stuck. My dream was shattered. What I could do except cursing the God who showed me a false dream. Since that unfortunate event I have been distressed with political scenario of my motherland. And I have been feeling the importance of time. A saying has stuck my mind: Time and tide wait for none. Opportunity doesn't come time and again, we should grasp it tactfully. This is what I have experienced.
Did I make a great mistake  preferring my mother to a golden opportunity?????????
The Editor
WRITERS' DIARY

No comments:

Post a Comment