Monday 21 November 2011

INCOMPREHENSIBLE LOVE........... (Amar Limbu)




“If there is impossible problem to overcome, it is mysterious characters of woman which are unlikely to unravel.” 

A remark of a lecturer of mine often springs to my mind that if there is impossible matter to apprehend, it is woman whose mysterious characters that are unlikely to be unraveled. I have been observing her heart for the past three years and I don’t have any idea yet what that heart is made up of. I never even grasped a hint what that heart was looking for. That heart reacted as if it was made up of tender, kind, normal, soft substance, but for somebody, its reaction hurts through the sentiments mercilessly and leaves him depressed tending to commit suicide, lost in intolerable sorrowfulness.
I got appointed at a well-reputed private school where I happened to stick with some new friends, some amicable, others proud. Amongst the colleagues, Surendra was my age mate, nice and friendly guy. In other words, almost all were good. He gradually grew closer to me because we were M.A. students in English literature, and his rented house was right opposite to mine.
We were fooling around the school since it was fun. We used to share every problem and solve by sitting together that we had coped with while teaching. I vividly remember we were the youngest teaching staff. Nevertheless, we were endeavouring to act like mature ones. Honestly, we both were in need of perfect life partners in our lives. So, we usually felt jealous of other couples. Once Surendra confessed—he fell in love with a student from same institution where we belonged. In accordance with his explanation, one day he got to engage with the students of class nine, for his name was mentioned in proxy list. 
He had no chance to opt except for singing. Finally, he sang them a Hindi movie song which was heartwarming enough to prove he was fond of sentimental songs. Maybe it was his daybreak of love affair which transformed him single to double. The following night he was startled at a phone call, it was a girl from the same class who he had sung a sentimental song for. As time passed by, their relation grew so intimately that they had already reached an agreement to copulate before getting married. 
She was Sunila, a slim, pretty, intelligent, frank, caring, crazy, cool, and if I describe or portray her more, you will start cogitating that I also loved her too. Well! It was not me but my bosom friend who had dived into her pond of love. The thing that dropped me a hint in respect to their love affair is that once I was sunbathing and going through the corrections of some students’ notebooks on the stage of school, I spotted her standing alone right ahead of the class where he was delivering a lecture. Some couples run into success, some don’t. My friend’s love story was also pathetic that many other couples have been encountering. 
One day, no sooner had her father overheard about their relationship than he flew into a rage. It was enough rumour for their relation to reach a climax. After a couple of days her father who rushed to the school seemed keen on settling the problem amicably. But it was not the same as we staff were intending. His heart was palpitating to face her father’s appearance. As soon as he entered the room, her father took out a khukuri and intimidated him to give up dreaming of possessing her as his life partner. Not only did he point khukuri to him but also he threw some obscene words at him, however, he listened to him patiently. They couldn’t meet again, as her father became a tie. 
He made his mind up to put an end to their relation. He failed to weigh up his words how much painful and sharp that cut through her heart. After the incident she was absent from the school for few days. The absence of hers left him restless and he was completely obsessed with her absence. He was too weak to resist her reflection in his eyes. Therefore, he kept on dialing her phone numbers. Unluckily, the contact was out of reach. Perhaps he was acting against the direction of the God. Rather he, once, received a threat from her father. He terrified him, “If you don’t do as I say, you will get lost from there, and remember!” 
He kept vigil, he cried, lamented, and doodled all night. He often got drunk and slept unfed. He used to wiggle in room. After some time he happened to know she was trying to hang, taking sleeping tablets excessively. Her worsening health encouraged him to do unusual practice nine times out of ten was that he used to flip a coin to determine if she would call him. He used to await her call. His pillow was wet due to regular rolls of tears. He had sunk his heart, “Damn! Amar she forgets me easily if she is forced by her parents because I’m not her perfect match. She is far richer than me.”
He was leaning against the window and gazing at a tree whose leaves had turned yellowish-red and some were ready to fall down. Once she patientlessly said, “Sonu, call me back immediately, my balance is wearing off.” He called her back, she besought to elope and live elsewhere peacefully. Also she had promised to spread her hands at each moment. Her request really threw him into dilemma. He was moving like a hand of pendulum clock. His parents had hoped to witness him all grown-up and independent.
He talked to parents as to the problem but his parents dissented. He was completely disturbed in studies, job. In spite of it, he called her and assured to marry at next Dashain and go together home. Light crossed her face. One night he was trying to convince his parents. “It’s your life, if you can’t act on our instructions, we don’t want to see you back at home.” replied his father. Anyways, he reached a conclusion to marry her and encounter with the problems in the days to come. I put my best effort on him to convince—I couldn’t because he had gone crazy and mad. A clock on the wall was striking 7 pm. An old song was playing “Ke soche the zindagima ke ke bhayo aaja……. on his computer. The door was ajar. Meantime, the landlady appeared at the entrance and asked, “When are you leaving room? I have heard you are feeling difficult to afford to pay the rent. You can shift to Bhaktapur where rent is quite cheaper than here.” Her intention was to drive him off the house. 

Then I stopped visiting his house. I was stuck to my job. Winter went, spring was coming. Since I could see trees sprout new leaves. I was astonished at his call after long hiatus. He was talking something regarding his shift. His voice was growing obscure. Also he was trying to say about his affair. . I was shouting, “Hello! Hello! Could you speak louder..??? Network of mobile was erring. “Sir, she broke up the relation...Her….Hello!!! I scowled at my mobile. What I noticed in detail was ‘Network failure’ in the mobile screen.

(All the characters they appear in this fiction are just fictious.In case, it carries partial or complete resemblances of someone else, it will be an only coincidence.)

-Please do send your comments and suggestions for its betterment at amarsherma@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment